Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5-Ingredient Mango Crumble

I have been missing my blog as much as it has been missing me...I don't have any illusions that anyone out there has been missing my blog though! Anyway, I'm back with something sweet, to celebrate a very sweet achievement in my life.



I baked this delicious mango crumble for my dad and mom because of whom I have been able to follow my passion and interest in the Montessori educational philosophy. They supported me to study, with a 3-year-old in tow, having to travel 60 kms daily over 1 year (ensuring that we were comfortably chauffeur driven!!). They looked after both my son and me while I gritted my teeth and worked my way illustrating, writing, studying, re-writing, re-drawing 5 folders, each about 200 pages....some nights I have not even slept (especially the day before folder submission!).
Because of them, I am now the proud holder of a diploma in early childhood education, from the AMI in Netherlands. Because of this, I now have a renewed interest, passion, and direction in my life. So, even though both my parents are (borderline) diabetics (!) I baked and dedicated this mango crumble to them!

This is also for my (sweet!) husband who has never stopping me from following my heart and dreams!

Mangoes are in season now, especially in a state like Kerala which has a tropical climate. I love having mangoes in any form but in desserts have only made them in the form of a mousse. A mango crumble was news to me when I saw this recipe in the latest issue of "Vanitha", a Malayalam magazine. I put this together in no time, just 10 minutes needed to have this going in the oven. So this is perfect for the general theme of this blog-effortless cooking easy baking! Hope you too will try this out and enjoy it like we did!

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup mango, cut up into thick slices (midway between ripe and raw)
  2. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
  3. Sugar-to taste, depending on the sweetness of the mangoes
  4. 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  5. 50 grams butter + 1 tablespoon extra
  6. 1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling on top)
Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Combine the mango slices, nutmeg powder and sugar (to taste) in a saucepan.
  • Cook it on a low flame until the sugar is just dissolved.
  • Transfer the mango mix to a baking dish.
  • Cut up the butter into small pieces and mix it into the flour with your fingers until it becomes like breadcrumbs.
  • Spread this on top of the mango mix, flattening it with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
  • Dot the top with the extra 1 tablespoon butter, randomly.
  • Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top becomes light brown.
  • Serve plain or with a dollop of cream or vanilla icecream.
  • Enjoy the summer!

Linking this to two events:
Mango Delights

7 comments:

Swati Sapna said...

Congratulations Karishma!! And so happy to see you back to blogging :) I have missed you in cyberspace!! The mango crumble looks delicious and must admit even I have not heard of mangoes in a crumble! But hey, mangoes in anything have gotta be good :D Cheers to you diploma and a new life ahead!

divya said...

Wow, so beautiful & tempting.loved the presentation

kausers kitchen said...

Mango crumble looks delicious, Thnx for linking to my event.
Looking frwd for more delicious recipes.
Have a luvly week ahead ♥

kausers kitchen said...

BTW I'm ur new follower :)

Rafeeda AR said...

congratulations karishma... really appreciate your effort, and yes, the support of your parents and better half... we woman need a lot of support like dat if we really need to push ourselves!!! :) the crumble looks fantastic, bookmarked!!!

Emreen said...

Congrats dear !!!!

divorce lawyer in delhi said...

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks

ShareThis